Intro to Jazz Piano for Classical Pianists
A brief, yet comprehensive introduction to the world of jazz piano--specifically geared to classical pianists. This camp
will be hands-on, fun, and extremely educational. All questions will be answered, and all topics demonstrated allowing
the students to have an “over-the-shoulder” view of jazz piano!
- A brief history of jazz piano, with listening examples from some of the most influential artists; listening list will
- Relationship between classical and jazz
- Roles, functions, and styles a jazz pianist must master (solo piano, duo context, trio with bass and drums,
- Introduction to common chord progressions, basic chord vocings, harmonizing a melody from a lead sheet
- Introduction to improvisation
Sessions will consist of a mix of discussion of the topics, all demonstrated by Gary, with lots of hands-on interaction
with the students. Lots of Q & A.
Profession Pianist, Composer, Arranger and Teacher
Knowledge and fluency of major scales, some basic harmony (major, minor triads), an open mind!
Kawai Piano Gallery • 5800 Richmond Avenue • Houston
June 18 - 22 • 9:45AM - 11:45AM
CALL 713-904-0001 TO REGISTER • SPACE IS LIMITED, SO REGISTER SOON!